Wednesday, September 10, 2014

From Slavery to Abolitionism

All the way throughout class on Tuesday there were same two (2) themes kept reappearing over and over; the abolishing of slavery and giving equal right s to all people regardless of color. There were many different groups and organizations that were working towards these goals such as "The American Colonization Society" (est. 1819) and later "The American Anti-Slavery Society" (est. 1833). Like I said earlier the main cause of liberation for black and the equal treatment of all people was noble but there were also many underlying reasons that were not and noble and just as you think.

For example, "The American Colonization Society" was against slavery and did want to abolish the practice but they did not like the idea of black men and women living and coexisting with white men and women. To make sure that would not happen the sent back some 40,000 black men, women, and children "back" to Africa. These were men and women that were born in the United States that knew just as little about Africa as the people that were rounding them up and sending them "home". To make it easier of a transition, the ACS bought land in West Africa and  made a colony which is the West African country of Liberia whose capital (Monrovia) was named after the American President at the time, James Monroe. 

At this time I want you to think; if you were a black person during this time, what would you do? If it meant being free would you completely leave the only life you knew behind in order to start fresh in a place you barely even know? 
Personally I dont think I would have been able to leave for the simple fact that I would be leaving the only thing I knew even though it was bad. But that is what these men and women of African decent had to deal with.

Further along the line once more and more Northeners could not get through to wealthy Southeners and other people that supported the enterprise of slavery, drastic measures were being taken by abolitionist as well as slaves. The biggest slave slave revolt in America was lead by a slave by the name of Nat Turner. He and his group of newly liberated slave went fro plantation to plantation murdering all whites that opposed their will. As they were killing slave owners, there would be more and more slaves that would join the cause of "Freedom by Any Means". Nat and his band of vigilantes were finally caught and killed. This revolt scared people up and down the Eastern sea board and more slave laws were put in affect afterward. This brings me to my next question.

If you were a slave during the time of Nat Turner's revolt, would you join the revolt or notify someone that they were near? Knowing that the punishment would be death, would your freedom mean that much or that little too you? Explain why or why not.

On the other hand of the coin, abolitionist were telling the gruesome stories from slaves about the inhumane treatment they were receiving from the "slave masters" and overseers. When people still were not able to quite comprehend the atrocities that were happening to these people in a place were all mean are supposed to be treated equal, the American Anti-Slavery Society started doing something that was completely unprecedented for that time. 
They would have former slaves and women both speak at conventions and other engagements. This had never been done before, blacks and women BOTH speaking out to white men about that abolishment of slavery and women's rights. One former slaves that told about his struggles of being a slave, his name was Fredrick Douglas. One of the most influential black abolitionist of the era. He was a former salve that taught himself to read and write and become the well spoken man that he was. He wrote about in his narrative called, "Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglas: An American Slave. The things that he went through really opened up the eyes of white men and all men that what was happening was wring and that the institution of slavery had too come to an end.

3 comments:

  1. Slavery was not invented by the United States and during the year of our founding in 1776, slavery existed everywhere in the world. I am not arguing the legitimacy of slavery, I believe it was and is completely wrong. Slavery and the idea of mass laborers have been documented from the beginning of organized man. Slavery knew no boundary and was not based upon color. All empires that were conquered, those people were enslaved to the more powerful.
    I believe that the United States should be recognized as a young nation whom abolished slavery and has fought for human rights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To answer your first question Pat it would be tough to go back to Africa where I know nothing about. If going back to Africa means I would gain freedom, then i would have to suffer those consequences rather than suffering from slavery. My reasoning is I'd rather start from scratch instead of starting at the totem pole in slavery. I'd want the freedom over being dehumanized.
    To answer your second question Mr. Rolark I would definitely join the slave revolt of Nat Turner. A violent revolt in history usually starts a revolution. If i was born in that time I would want to believe that I would put my life in the line to start a revolution. I would not tell any whites that they were coming, because of the dehumanization they would have done to me and my family. It my opinion it would have been karma taking place. This did scare many whites and that was one of the goals of the revolt. Whites now knew that black slaves had the means and the intelligence start a revolt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to agree with Paulino's answer to your first question Pat. A chance for freedom in a new country would definitely be worth the adjustment to a new country. I think the most difficult part would be getting to Africa. We have learned that when the slave trade was taking place, the hundreds of thousands of slaves were being transported across the Atlantic in terrible conditions. Would they have done the same thing bringing the slaves "back" to Africa. In my opinion, I think they would. The ACS goal was to just completely remove all the blacks from their white population and I think they would have done that in any way. However, I think I would still take that risk for a chance at freedom rather than living under someone else's authority and abuse. As far as your second question, I think I would join Nat Turner's revolt. If I couldn't leave the country and start a new life in Africa, I would want to stay and fight for the abolishment of slavery. If the punishment was death in order to do so, I think it is worth it knowing you tried to defeat slave owners for what they have done to you. These revolts were terrifying to white people because I think it showed what tyranny blacks could bring. If you have been in control of people for so long, constantly telling them what to do and how to act by any means necessary and now they have decided to go against your orders I feel like you probably should be worried of what they are capable of.

    ReplyDelete